Instagram username: @juliuskaroubi
Julius is an artist that makes colorful art in different ways. We met him at his studio for a talk about his life and style.
Describe a day in your everyday life
– I wake up, I eat breakfast with my girlfriend, then I take the bus out to my studio. Usually, I just start drawing to kind of warm up. Then I move on to painting on tiles or canvas or paper. I eat lunch, go back to painting and drawing. Each day is very different. I try to make the best out of the day.
What does painting bring to your life?
– Painting is some type of understanding my surroundings. I can make something and then look back at it and not understand what I was doing. But when I look at it a second time, it makes sense. “I did this because of that”. I’ve been drawing my whole life, ever since I was a kid. I like drawing everything from my friends to stuff I’m surrounded with. Over time I have gotten new inputs, new inspirations, and new knowledge. There is a bunch of opportunities. Everything’s allowed, you can do whatever you want and suddenly have your own style.
In what way do you use style to portray your personality?
– I love color, so my clothes have a lot of color in them. I paint in most of my clothes, so it’s a lot of baggy jeans and baggy t-shirts with paint all over them. It represents what I do every day.
What’s your favorite piece of denim?
– I love baggy denim! Super big jeans. I often wear five sizes bigger than I should just to get them to fit right. It’s durable, which is good since I use them to paint every day. It’s solid.
What is the key item of your wardrobe?
– My key item is my super baggy jeans, I wear them every day. And jewelry, I wear them all the time.
What is your visual universe like?
– My visual universe is like a bunch of colors, textures and footprints, and references to whatever I’m surrounded with. Working with packaging came from working at a grocery store and becoming concuss of what I’m surrounded by. Not necessarily in a critical way, but what you are seeing and being concuss about it. I notice what I use every day or what other people are using.